Sunday 15 March 2009

Spring.....


My training week finished at 5.30pm this evening when I set off for a run along the canal just a short distance from our house. This is my favourite place to run, not because it's pan flat (although that helps :)) but because it's always such a pleasurable experience. Whether it be an early morning, a mid day or an evening run there is always something interesting to take in and something tranquil in the surroundings. Once I get past the first mile which is a more developed path, where the dog walkers pace and the fishermen sit, the path becomes more natural and it's into the countryside. This evening I watched the sun go down, I saw a family of Swans, a Heron took flight and for 40 minutes on the natural path I was all alone. The path itself is quite interesting, watching your footing negotiating the mole hills and climbing the odd style breaks up the rhythm and takes ones mind off the running. Tonight I turned at 30 minutes and even paced it home. It occured to me as I ran how nice the area I live in is. To be able to hit the countryside in such a short space of time is fabulous. This also translates to the roads and cycling. My chosen routes are also very quiet. I might be unlucky to see a handful of cars in either direction in any given hour. My mood was significantly enhanced when I finished my run, was it the endorphins pumping through my veins, the elevated heart rate, or the fact I'd ran a steady hour? I think a combination, but clearly the surroundings add something also.

This week has been another solid training week. I think I had enjoyed a pretty fresh body last week, this week I was defiantly more fatigued and more tired and it was also pretty windy out on the bike. Most folks ride in the countryside, they get some shelter by hedges, and their routes are broken up by some contour lines. In this part of Yorkshire it's different. Firstly it's very, very flat (if you don't believe me check out the terrain profile on Google Maps around Selby) The countryside is great but Mr Greedy Farmer, (ever come across a poor farmer!!) has removed all his hedges to create gigantic fields so he can plant right up to the edge and maneuver his almighty machinery. These two factors, flat terrain and no shelter, seem to magnify the slightest breeze, turning it into a gale (it felt like one on Saturday) The prevailing wind is westerly, and my best routes head East to West or vice versa , so you are either riding head down at 11mph in the 39 x 21, or cruising at 30mph spinning the 55 x 13 :) This week I tried to ride as controlled but strong as possible into the wind and then maintain the same effort levels with the wind. It would be interesting to ride with a power meter but I think there is a clear distinction between riding into and with the wind. In order to maintain a consistent heart rate, say 150bpm, with the wind you must really drop down the gears. It seems (this is just an observation with no scientific evidence behind it) that as you drop down the gears the muscle recruitment is a little different. I have decided that if I want to ride well in Lanzarote where the wind usually blows, I must be able to capitalize and maximise my speed when the wind is on my back. Thus it's no good dropping the gears and finding leg strength/ leg power lacking resulting in difficulty maintaining heart rate, and thus resorting to a steady cruise where heart rate significantly drops. Now, this cruisey state and deliberate drop in heart rate could be a positive outcome allowing refueling and some leg recovery, however although speed may appear high (say 30mph) will it be high enough to counteract the inevitable slow speeds from the climbing. I haven't done the maths but my gut feeling is NO. When the wind is advantageous, and the terrain fast heart rate must be maintained, and I think this requires practice and an increase in leg strength to turn the bigger gears. This is something I am going to do over the coming weeks, no resting with the wind on my back :)

Wow, kind of went off on it, thought I was back at Uni studying Sports Science and writing an essay (no can't be the case it's too early in the evening:), sorry if I bored you non triathletes.

Monday: Bike 1 hr, Run 1/2 hr

Tuesday: Run 1/2 hr

Wednesday: am, Bike 1 1/4 hrs, Run 1 hr, pm, Bike 1 1/4hrs

Thursday: am, Bike 1/2 hr, pm Bike 1 1/4 hrs BIG GEAR Low Cadence

Friday: Rest Day

Saturday: am, Bike 2 1/2 hrs, Ref football match, Bike 1 1/4 hrs
Sunday: pm, Run 1 hr

Total: 11 1/2 hrs

Not sure what happened to the weights sessions this week just didn't seem to find the energy in the evenings to get in the garage, and ran at work rather than lift weights. Will try to find a bit more balance, although I am happy that I ran 4 times and totalled 3 hrs.
Apart from the wind, it's been a really decent week of weather. I really feel spring maybe upon us. The clocks change in two weeks, my overshoes have been packed away and on a couple of occasions this week I have over heated. Finally much to Sarah's amusement my fascination with the garden bulb comes to fruition as the beautiful (but understated I feel) Daffodils, regular and miniature begin to flower in my garden. Every year Sarah takes the mick as I try my hardest to squeeze in a few more bulbs. Hey it makes me happy twice, planting and enjoying their colour at this time of year........

1 comment:

Jevon said...

Hey Ben
Great to see you back at it.
Agree with you on working with the wind at your back. I reckon cycling is about finding that point where you're able to deliver a certain amount of power whatever the conditons. Those of us without power meters must use our good 'ol brains to estimate the power but the brain likes to tell us to rest with the wind at our backs. Keep pushing away... :)
Take it easy. You've been off a while. Rest well and eat well and don't push the training. If your body tells you to ease up, ease up and recover. Plenty of time yet.
J.