Sunday 1 March 2009

sleep deprivation and carpet cleaning...


Just a short post this week. It's been a strange kind of week and I don't want to write an extended post because I think my frame of mind is quite negative and if I write a long rambling post I might just reinforce my negativity.




So why the negativity? I went for a hospital check up on Tuesday and with a microscope in my ear the doctor announced the infection had not gone and he wanted to either make another incision at the infection site under a local anesthetic, or try another course of antibiotics. Being totally unprepared for this news (I was feeling really good) I opted for the antibiotics and ear drops. With my optimistic hat on I hope the doctor was seeing the back end of the disappearing infection, and when hit by yet more antibiotics it should disappear totally by this Wednesday's visit. That news kind of put a dampener on the rest of the week.




I have managed to ride the bike on the turbo. I rode a couple of hour long sessions and managed a couple of 2 hour sessions. Riding the turbo has its place but I'm starting to yearn for the road again. I need an infection free ear before I think it wise to ride in the wind and cold. I am feeling good on the bike but am not sure how riding the turbo will translate to the road, I hope to find out this week. The turbo is allowing me to ride my race bike on the tri bars. The new set up is feeling pretty comfortable which is great.




A couple of weights sessions, legs and upper body have been the total of this weeks training. Lanzarote is still far enough in the distance to get back on track with some solid training, but in my mind I have to get back into proper structured training, especially running and longer bike rides real soon.




My mate Ben posted some cracking photos from the Tuscon training camps. It looked great but reinforced my disappointment of not making it out there.




Evie thinks her new bed is an extension of an adventure play ground! She loves the game of going to bed and then when your back is turned getting up, back to bed, turn your back and up she gets. At 1am whilst Ellie was fast asleep Sarah found her in her sisters room playing in the dark with her toys!!! We are persevering with the bed but have reinforced her room with a bed guard and a stair gate across her door, yeah... see if you can get out now cheeky little girl! She did sleep through last night which was the first uninterrupted nights sleep we have had for 10 days. It is a well known fact that sleep deprivation is a cracking form of torture, it is certainly making me and Sarah crack.




To top the week off Ellie started doing some finger painting with her little sister, thinking Evie would behave as sensibly as she does. 10 minutes later when I realised what they were up to we had paint all over the dining room chair and on the carpet beneath the table. Needless to say the cream carpet now has a pinky, purply tinge to it. A day that was developing nicely turned into a carpet cleaning, frustrated and angry out burst at the 2 girls. Ellie unfortunately got the brunt of my anger somewhat unfairly. The picnic that I had prepared was eaten in the lounge and we didn't make it to the Bird Park/Adventure Playground until much later than planned. The week we have had, and at times like this one wonders why we decided to have kids?




I am really hopeful that Wednesday's visit to the hospital will yield good results, it has to, my ear doesn't hurt, my head doesn't hurt, I have no discharge and I actually feel like my hearing is improving. I think both Sarah and I need to get a grasp on our reaction to our girls indifferent behaviour. Evie is close to being 2 and all the frustration that this age brings. Ellie is probably getting a bit fed up with her sisters frustrations and subsequent crying, and as a result is not the really well behaved little girl we are used to. Non of this will last long, we just need to bite our tongues and react a little more calmly, easier said than done.


Sarah and I cooked some onion bhaji's on Friday, they turned out pretty good (oven cooked so quite healthy also) We ate curry and watched Blood Diamond. Although I've seen this film before, it is a good story and you can just about live with Leoardo DiCaprio's African accent.


It is the beginning of March and we joked a while ago after our difficult start to the year that our 2009 would start properly from March. So here we go........

2 comments:

Jevon said...

Ben
some thoughts:

We have kids to remind us of something even more painful than Ironman...

I enjoyed Blood Diamond and I think Leo is an underrated actor.

Thanks for your thoughts on Erin's GCSE choices - I agree and that point was made by the school. She's at a great school - Aylesbury High - and is a confident and intelligent young lady so we're blessed really. These decisions should be considered, made and moved on from i think without too much worrying... we'll see :)

Finally. And everyone else might not like this. If you're not getting pain and infection, why not bung in some cotton wool put on a skull cap or buff so no wind gets to your ear and take the road bike out for ten miles. No more. I think you'll find a certain 'release' there to get away from the drag of the turbo and... if it's okay, you might find you can do a bit more.

They said I couldn't ride for three weeks and whadya know... I was riding after two days. Sure, it was sore but it was sore sitting on a sofa !!!

Up to you... do what your body says is right. You've lived with the infection for so long now, you'll have a feeling.

J.

Just a thought...

Ben G said...

Thanks Jevon for your thoughts, I think I am at that stage now. Having not had an injury/illness for a long, long time and finding myself in hospital kind of knocked my confidence. I have been very reluctant to put my ear in any compromising situations for fear of a further set back...However I think the time has arrived. Have a good week.