Saturday 7 March 2009

Moving Forward


I've had a great week after being given pretty much the all clear by the doctor on Wednesday. The incision in the ear drum has healed and there is just a little redness and slight bulge behind the ear drum which should disappear, but he wants to keep an eye on it. A hearing test revealed nearly normal hearing at the vocal range of frequencies, but at higher frequencies it was less comparable to my good ear. I have to go back in 6 weeks, but should expect a gradual improvement as the ear drum continues to recover. The doctors advice regarding swimming was to stay out of the pool until it is fully recovered. I intend to stay out of the pool for a few more weeks and then arm myself with ear plugs and swim hat to start my Lanzarote swim preparation (more of this later).
Concerned that Lanzarote is not that far away, and my less than ideal training so far this year I decided to check out last years prepartion for IM Switzerland. I was very pleased I did, the results revealed some very encouraging information. When I think back to last year I remember having a poor training period during March and some of April. With about 12 weeks to go I remember chatting to Tom, and we agreed that if we'd done very little training and started our Ironman specific preparation 12 weeks out we would still be in good shape and have good races. I had a great race setting a PB in 11.03.00. I have inserted a few graphs to compare 2008 and 2009, they show the 20 weeks prior to race day.
Total weekly hours shows 2008 (blue) as only slightly more than 2009 (red). What is also important for me is that in the final 10 weeks I managed a couple of longer weeks but was generally only hitting 10 to 12 hours. I know I have moved my basic training week on from 10 hours so am confident I will be able to put some longer weeks in without too much trouble.

The bike hours graph also makes me feel pretty good. The raw data reveals 48 hours in 2008, compared to 42 hours in the 10 weeks of 2009. Coincidently weeks 5, 6 and 7 were really low in 2008 and this was precisily the weeks when I was out of action this year. I rode solidly last year in the final 10 weeks, but I didn't put any hours in that I don't think I can't replicate this year. A closer inspection of my training diary shows just 4 rides totalling more than 4 hours in the final 10 weeks. This reflected the difficulty I felt staying out on the bike, I was easily tempted last year to cut rides short. This year I am excited and really motivated to ride long, and know I will double if not treble my 4 hour rides over the next 10 weeks.
The run graph shows just how little running I did leading up to Switzerland. I have clearly had quite a long period with little or no running, but I am confident I will get back to where I was quite quickly, and if I make the next 10 weeks very specific to IM running I should be in good running shape. However it is my bike fitness and strength that will govern my run time, not my run fitness.

I produced an excel graph for my swimming but it was kind of pathetic so I decided to delete it. In summary I didn't get in the pool between IMUK (Aug 2007) and Jan 2008. In the 20 week build up I clocked 8 hours in the pool, I swam 1:09:00 in Switzerland. So far I've not got wet this year!!! Even if I don't get in the pool for a few more weeks I am confident with a few specific long sessions I will swim a similar time. Hey, I could always see how I perform with my first swim being 23rd May in Lanza!!! Clearly swimming improves ones swim performance, however I do think a carefully structured upperbody weights program focussing on swim specific muscles will keep me strong and allow me to quickly find my stroke. My aerobic fitness will be built on the bike and out running.

I am now feeling pretty good about the position I have found myself in. Whilst I wanted to really push my performance on this year, particularly my running I don't think the missed training is as bad as I have been thinking over the last few weeks. I have been dealt these cards and I must play with them. I am quite excited to be training again. Back in Christmas I wrote on my training wall in my garage, so that I could see it when I lifted weights or rode the turbo "23rd May be at your best" this still applies. What my best will be will be established on the evening of the 23rd, but I will be at it.

This weeks training looks like this;

Monday: am, Leg weights 30 mins. pm, Bike 1 hour (turbo)

Tuesday: am, Upper Body Weights 30 mins. pm, Bike 1 hour, 12 x 2 mins intervals (turbo)

Wednesday: am, Leg Weights 30 mins. pm, Bike 1 hour (turbo)

Thursday: am, Bike 30 mins. pm Bike 3 1/4 hours (56 miles)

Friday: am, Bike 30 mins, Weights Upper Body 45 mins, pm, Bike 30 mins

Saturday: am, Run 1 hour

Sunday: am, Bike 3 1/4 hours (54 miles), pm Weights Upper Body 45 mins

Total: 15 hours

This weeks photo is of Ellie and Evie playing in the woods at Clumber Park. We hooked up with my Brother and his Wife for the afternoon on Saturday after Max had raced the Clumber Park Duathlon. Well done Max a solid race. We had a lovely afternoon, Ellie was in her element, suddenly she has become really adventurous climbing every wood pile she found and disappearing into the undergrowth whenever she cared. Evie tried very hard to emulate her big sister. We finished a great day off with food at Nando's and a bounce for Ellie on the Bungee Trampoline found at Xscape. Two shattered girls were fast asleep within minutes of getting home. Thanks Max and Rachael, as usual you guys are awesome with the girls, great to catch up.

Well done to my friend Steve Hobson who took his Ironman racing away from Canada (I think he's done 10 IMCD!!) to New Zealand this year, 11:30:00 a solid performance, well done mate.

I feel like I am firmly back on track. My motivation is high and my mind is set on the task in hand. "23rd May, be at your best"..............

2 comments:

H said...

Welcome back Ben :) fingers crossed for a smooth ten weeks of hard core fun, you can do it and do it well you will :)

H. x

Tom said...

great post mate and a brilliant use of stats :)

I have no doubt at all that you will be firing on all cylinders come May the 23rd :) :)

H and I are just about to enter the Vit for an end of season focus, perhaps you'd like to join us?