Sunday 18 January 2009

Half Marathon Fun...


You have to check out this video clip, wingsuit base jumping!!! These guys are awesome or crazy, make your own minds up.


Today's photo is of Samuel Wanjiru World Record Half Marathon Record Holder 58:33, (4:30 min/mile) I didn't trouble his record today!!!

I raced the Brass Monkey Half Marathon this morning......OUCH. I had set a target of going sub 1:30 (had 1:28 in my mind). This target was based on last year's 1:29:57 achieved off of very little running. I raced to a time of 1:30:33, and boy did it hurt. As Lance Armstrong once said "racing hurts, and it hurts me just as much as anybody, I just go a little faster". It certainly hurt today, a pain in my side for the last couple of miles (just when you want to dig in and open up a little, rubbish) this really stiffens me up and slows me down. It is a problem I've had on and off when running hard for prolonged time periods. I think its related to being dehydrated, which would figure as I didn't really drink more than a couple of mouthfuls today. Then at mile 12 my Hamstrings started to explode. I had to sneak a real quick stretch, and finished the last couple of hundred meters off feaful of fully blown cramp! My Hamstrings are always the first leg muscle to cramp. I guess that is simply a conditioning factor. They are not weak, but being an important running muscle I guess not so well developed given my historically low running milage? Anybody with any thoughts or suggestions?


I ran 6.57 min/mile Pace average, with a Heart Rate average of 174bpm. However the first 7 miles were quicker than the average, and the last 6 were slower. I think that although I have done considerably more running during Oct, Nov, Dec and Jan than last year not many miles have been done at a fast enough pace to facilitate the necessary adaptations to then hold 6:40's for 13 miles. So although I didn't quite achieve my target I am still very pleased. I am pleased because 1:30 is a solid time for me. The race has got me more focussed on my running, and thus I feel I have a deeper running base to continue my Ironman running preparation this year.


Before I leave the topic of Half Marathon racing, well done Max (my brother) for running 1:28:40 in the 4 Villages race in Cheshire. To Tom for nailing a PB with a 1:19:28 (I think 28 seconds) Ben B for running 1:24:48 in slightly warmer conditions in Phoenix (USA) and to Helen for running a solid 1:35 at the Brass Monkey, given the training load you put your body and mind under just a week ago in Lanzarote. It's great to be surrounded by like minded characters, and I will be taking motivation from you all in the next few weeks.


The rest of my training week has been sound. I've ridden 160 miles, including a 3 1/4 hour session on Thursday, ran 2 hours, and knocked out a couple of weights sessions, 11 3/4 hours in total.


Evie is well on the mend, and starting to eat more food. Sarah is also nearly back to normal, and Ellie has loved her 3 mornings in her big school.


Sitting here drinking a celebratory glass of sparkling pink wine my legs are trashed, and my mind is tired, so its a short post from me tonight because I want a cuddle on the sofa from my coach!! I will leave you with a funny quote that Ellie said to me a couple of nights ago. I was in the bath with her, and suddenly she say's,


"Daddy don't slouch"

I did laugh. I will see you in 7, hopefully with another 150 + of bike miles in my legs!!!!! Be good.

4 comments:

Tom said...

great work today mate...

ditto your comment re being surrounded by like minded people.

see you next week,

t

H said...

Hope the legs are mended now Ben ;) Looking forward to seeing you & Sarah on Sat eve. x

Jevon said...

Good work fella, especially that half mara time. Like you I'm looking to go sub 90 but know it's gonna hurt...
J.

Ben Bigglestone said...

Glad Evie is on the mend. She will be 100+% before you know it.

Half Marathon - You have to go into these races in a good state of hydration/nutrition. Sounds like you got at least one of these a little wrong (hydration). What did you do for breakfast and what did you take on board during the run?

Secondly after reviewing your Garmin data you definitely went out too hard, this can be catastrophic although sounds like you did manage to 'hold on'.

The fitter you are the closer your HM pace becomes to LT and the less likely you are to need calories during the run. Fluid potentially (in Phoenix anyway ;o)). A good solid race though Ben. Stick with Daniels for now and stay on pace, don't use anything other than current performances to set your zones!