Sunday 4 January 2009

Goals and Plans....


I have started 2009 running. We saw in the New Year with Elieen and Bernie (Sarah's Mam and Dad) in Newcastle. I participated in the unusual tradition (is it unusual?) of going outside at 11.59.55pm with a piece of coal and a bottle of whiskey, and as the clock strikes and the New Year starts bringing the Coal and Whiskey back into the house. It is supposed to bring good luck, I hope it does.

On New Years Day morning I drove to the coast at South Shields (finish of Great North Run) and ran along the beach and up onto the cliff tops. I ran a nice steady 10 miles in 1hr 20 mins. I thoroughly enjoyed the view and the freshness of the air.

On 2nd January I returned to South Shields and ran 6 miles along the cliffs. I opened up the tanks a little on mile 4 (7.05 min/mile) and mile 5 (6.56 min/mile), feeling good.

On Sunday 4th January I ran my technical 5 miler along the canal, where I aim to run efficiently and hold perfect form. During my 3 weeks holiday I have managed to run 4 hours each week. This is an exceptional block of running for me. It is this sort of consistency that I hope to hold on to for as long as possible in the build up to IM Lanzarote.

Over the break I read 'No Limits' Michael Phelps autobiography (a great read, thoroughly recommended) He talks about setting his goals, and confirms a belief I already have about aiming high.

I have written down some of my goals and plans for 2009, here are some of them.

Ironman Lanzarote, Finishing time 10:45:00. I finished IMUK in 11.08.00 (2007), and IM Switzerland in 11.03.00 (2008) so have set myself the goal of a new PB at Lanzarote. I know it's supposed to be a tougher course, but I am aiming high. I think my splits might look something like this, Swim 1:08, Bike 5:35, Run 3.55 (T1 and T2 7 mins)

Sub 55 min 25 mile T.T. It's been a few years since I did enough time trialling to get consistently fast. I have a P.B. over 25 miles of 53.45, which I set in 2000 on a perfect, perfect Sunday morning on the A1 near Blyth. The past few seasons I have just crept below the hour, riding a long 58 last season. After Lanzarote I hope to do a few more T.T's and some specific T.T training, hoping for the perfect race to ride fast again.

Ride a 12 hour T.T in July. Dad set the tone this year, he is gearing up for a repeat performance and Max is on board, so that just leaves me. A Garrard Family 12 hour, bring it on.

Get strong again. The last couple of years I have let my weight training drift a little. I have become more specific with my weights, lifting lighter and more repetitions for my triathlon. However I would like to get back to feeling strong. Post Lanzarote I will start to lift heavier and build some strength.

Spend Friday Night's with Sarah doing something special together. This is something we did with regularity a few years ago. There are times during the week when we pass like ships in the night, so every Friday we will pull in the main sail and set anchor for a night. Each week we will alternate being the skipper, cooking for each other, watching a movie, playing 'Skip Bo', a pamper night or whatever else we can come up with.

Do something as a Family each Sunday. This is something we try to do anyway, but of course things slip, time to get back to Sunday family time.

Teach Ellie to Swim. It's been quite a while since we went to the pool. She loves swimming and is confident in the water, doing some massive jumps and dives from the side. I will try to get her swimming so that she can then have lessons real soon.

Enjoy my Garden. We have a fabulous Garden and decking, and love 'BBQing' and sitting out in the evening. However the last couple of years we have been a little thwarted by the weather, and on the good days haven't really made the most of it, not this year.

I'm sure as the year progresses more goals will be set and plans will be made. Some goals will be achieved, some will not, but in setting each goal a journey can begin. I am sure that each of my goals will bring me and those around me happiness and excitment, which is ultimately what it's all about.

"Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace and power in it" (Goethe)

I hope you have aimed high with your goals for 2009, and that the journey you take to achieving them is full of happy moments. Catch you next week.

No comments: