Tuesday 19 May 2009

Now is the time.....

I cannot believe it is race week. It doesn't seem that long ago that I was entering Ironman Lanzarote. It doesn't feel that long ago that I was pulling on winter overshoes, or waking at 3am in excruciating pain with my ear troubles. On paper 20 weeks or 10 weeks doesn't actually seem that long a period of time, however a long time it is when you are training, focussing, recovering whilst working, daddying and husbanding. I was chatting to Helen whilst we were completing our final long brick session, and I have come to the conclusion that the 12 weeks specific preparation time talked about by many coaches is 12 weeks for a reason. It's not so much a physiological reason but much more a psychological one. For me I am totally ready to race on Saturday. The danger of starting your preparation too far out is when you really want to race you've still got 4 or 6 weeks of training left to do. This happened to me last year with Switzerland. I was ready to race in late May early June, the final few weeks were challenging, holding on to the focus. This year however I'm like a tethered lion who hasn't been fed, I'm like a greyhound in the starting gates, like an energetic kid at the top of a water slide. Let me get at the bad boy Ironman they call the toughest in the barren Lanzarote landscape. I cannot wait.


Back before Christmas I thought about my goal for Lanzarote. I think it's ambitious but realistic at the same time if I can execute a great race. It's based on my perception of where I think my fitness is, based on my performance against training buddies in specific training situations, and based on my experiences at IMUK 2007 and IM Switzerland 2008. So here it is;


Swim 1.08 (1.46 100's)

T1 and T2 10 mins

Bike 5.40 (19.5mph)

Run 3.50 (8.45 min/mile)


Total: 10.48, if only it was that easy.....


It is great to have a goal, but it really isn't the about hitting the finish line in 10.48. Saturday is all about enjoying the occasion, sharing the experience with my family and my training friends who will also be crossing the finish line. Sharing the experience with my friends who will be following my progress on http://www.ironman.com/ and fundamentally doing my best whatever should be thrown at me on the day.


Ironman Lanzarote is also about a bit more this year. I was really moved when I watch an ironman DVD witnessing a Dad completing an ironman race with his son. Dick Hoyt's son has been in a wheel chair all his life since his umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck at birth. Dick swims 2.4 miles pulling Rick in a small inflatable boat, rides 112 miles with Rick on a special seat pod on the front of his bike and runs 26.2 miles pushing the wheel chair, Dick allows his son to experience all the emotions of Ironman racing, that is an awesome gift he has given his son for the last 25 years. I have been given the ability to complete physical endeavours, often I take my daily activity for granted. I think further down the line I would like to help others who cannot easily be physical the opportunity to experience the joys it brings. This year I decided to collect sponsorship for a local organisation who help provide youngsters with learning and physical disabilities access sport. They specifically organise a weekly swimming sessison at a local pool, also organising gala's and other competitions. I hope to raise in excess of £500 for them. If you would like to donate please contact me.


Before I sign off I must thank everybody who has wished me well for Saturday and especially my best Buddy Ben who has given me some great Ironman wisdom over these last few weeks. Sarah has packed her holiday clothes, Ellie has packed her swimming gear and Daddy's Best Supporter T shirt, and Evie has nicked my swimming goggles (see todays photo) I've my bike and race gear all packed and we are ready to rock and roll.


Well that's about it from me, next time it will be race report time. An Ironman race to enjoy and a week in Lanzarote with my family to savour, sounds pretty good to me.......

No comments: