Friday 29 May 2009

Lanzarote Ironman 2009: Race Report


I woke at 4am on race morning and quickly ate a bowl of cereal. If I eat quickly I can beat the butterflies before they take off and make eating very difficult. I sun creamed up with Ellie's SF 50 and prepared my water bottles and race kit. We were staying in a fabulous apartment complex in Puerto Del Carmen so it was less than a 5 minute walk down to transition. Entering transition on race morning makes it all very real, BOOM the nervous energy smacks you in the face. Pump up the tyres, check the bike, again, etc etc then find a quiet spot to relax and gather my thoughts.


I wondered whether pulling on my wetsuit for the first time since last August was a sensible thing to do (it still fitted) however a May race doesn't give much open water swimming preparation opportunity in England. I walked down to the beach with Tom, Helen and Sam feeling very excited and just a little nervous. I suddenly remembered that it was a running beach start so no chance for a quick swim warm up...BANG off we go.



The swim was the usual fight for clear water, I tried to stay calm as people swam across me and through my line. A few aggressive wider strokes helped clear some water, and a few narrower tighter strokes avoided a full on water fight. I felt good in the water and exited the first lap in 34.28. Lap 2 also had moments of congested water. Towards the top buoy I started to feel sick. I think this was due to the swell, swallowing some salt water and a general motion sickness, I was keen to get out of the water. I struggled to enjoy the final 10 minutes, however a couple of shoals of fish and the clear water helped. I was very happy to get out of the water in a time of 1:10:30. A solid swim time over a long course (probably 2 to 3 minutes according to most people) I wanted to compose myself and get rid of the sick feeling so walked up the beach and through T1. This, plus the longest transition area in the world didn't make for a speedy transition to my bike.



Out onto the bike I took my time to get my heart rate down and settled into a steady pace. The bike course was a real unknown. I'd had various descriptions from Tom but didn't really know what to expect. I rode nice and steady to a high 150's and low 160's heart rate feeling strong. I went through El Golfo and passed Helen who was looking nice and comfortable. I then pushed on to the first notable climb up through the Fire Mountains. Nothing more than a steady climb, keeping the cadence high in the 39 x 26. So many people cranking BIG gears WHY? Went really fast down the other side past La Santa trying to eat and drink. My stomach was on the edge and it wasn't easy or enjoyable to keep eating bars, gels, powerbar ride jellies or drink water. We turned in land and headed towards Mirador de Haria, it was here where it started to get HOT.



In reflection I don't think I drunk enough water through this section, but I was feeling good still and climbed Mirador de Haria and Mirador del Rio well passing a few athletes. I was starting to clock and pay more attention to the distance markers and things were looking good for my target time of 5:40, knowing the last 50km were pretty quick with a tail wind. I then checked my bike computer and was confused to see a 10 mile difference between my distance and that of the course markers. Convinced the signs wouldn't be wrong I concluded that my bike computer must be not working properly so I cracked on. At 175km (signs) we went up a slight rise and I thought we'd turn left into PDC and I would land a 5:40 bike split, instead we went straight on, and on and on and on.....I was confused, my head was filling with tired thoughts and I was watching the clock tick on. At the same time the heat was taking it's toll and I was feeling dehydrated and running low on energy.After what seemed like an eternity I turned into the final 500m along the beach front. Getting off the bike in 6:07:01, I was feeling pretty smashed, I stroll through transition trying to compose myself and find some energy. Not knowing the course had certainly made the bike harder, how they got the road signs so wrong one wonders, but that didn't really help either. However 6:07:01 was still a solid time so lets get on with this marathon run.
My target pace was around 8:45 min/mile, I'd swapped my Garmin 50 for the 405 so had mile splits from the word go. Showing low 9's I was a little off pace but I carried on feeling pretty good. I clocked my support crew, Sarah, Ellie and Evie and Tom's friends who would also shout me round Andy, his wife and his two girls, and Ian and EK, cheers folks the encouragement came at just the right times and your smiling faces made me pretty emotional during each lap. The run was far from flat with 3 climbs, well not really climbs but definitely gradual ascents each lasting between 100m and 200m. The wind that had blown me part of the way home was now in my face to the turn around point. I was running solid and went through the first lap in 59:24. Lap two was knocked out in 1:02:04 giving me a 2:01:28 first 1/2 marathon. Lap three is always the killer and here was no exception. I tried to drink plenty of water and eat gels and orange segments, and seeing Tom, Helen and Sam giving it plenty really helped my motivation. At the top turn on lap three I picked up Russ. Russ is a really solid IM athlete who has gone sub 10 hrs plenty of times. I followed his progress in Australia where he has been training and his adventures at Epic Camp early this year. Today he was having a bad day, hampered with a huge saddle sore preventing him cycling efficiently and running without pain. I convinced him to run and we knocked off lap three in 1:08:07 It was great to have some company, cheers Russ. Just one more lap to go.



I was starting to melt in the sun, I was turning into a salty mess and my energy levels were dropping very low. We walked through the aid stations taking on water, coke, gels and more orange. The aid stations were great land marks and we eventually made the top turn for the last time. I just had to run back down the course. Did I throw in a couple of sub 9 minutes sections? sure did, Did I stop at each aid station to stretch my exploding hamstrings? sure did. Did I feel great? sure did. As I approached the finish shoot I grabbed Ellie and holding her hand ran the final 25m through the cheering crowds to cross the line elated and smashed in a time of 11:53:36



My Marathon time was 4:20:33 with the final 1/2 taking 2:19:08, however I was still really really pleased. There were people exploding all over the run course, so many were walking from such an early stage. I'd run it all and once again put together three solid disciplines. I might have been an hour outside my prediction, but I always knew it was very ambitious and based a little loosely on what I thought I was capable off. Ultimately times are not what it's about. It's about putting together a training plan, showing commitment and dedication to that plan, taking the training highs and lows, and coming out on race day and enjoying the moments the race throws at you. The feeling at the top turn knowing you only have 5km to go is amazing, it's only surpassed by the one as you go across the line and the commentator shouts,

"Here comes another Ironman, it's Ben Garrard from England" that is me....



Lanzarote Ironman was incredible. Once again I have had a fantastic ironman experience. I loved racing with my friends Tom and Helen, that really added to the occasion, cheers guys. The final word must go to Sarah, Ellie and Evie who also had a really long day out on the course supporting me, and have been fabulously supportive during my training and preparation period, I love you all so much.

3 comments:

Nathan said...

Good work dude, great time. You sound totally stoked on the whole event too. You can't ask for more than that!

Russ said...

Mate,

Cheers for the company on that last lap and a half, I definitely needed it! As you say it's a great course out there, a really honest race. Congrats on toughing it out!

Hope recovery goes well for you. I am feeling a lot better and the prospect of sitting on a bike is a bit less terrifying! I'll be back in Lanza next year for some unfinished business!

Russ

H said...

Loved training, racing and generally chatting with you Ben, we've all had a great journey to Lanza this year and these are priceless memories that I'll have forever :)
And like you say, the race is to the finish and while all around you (me included) were literally falling apart, you kept it together and came home with a race to be proud of in your bag, well done!
Hope we'll be training & racing together soon. x