Sunday 26 April 2009

Missing my girls...






Back to work after a nice refreshing two week break..... Well I would have been refreshed if I hadn't done 40 hrs training, including 580 miles of cycling, but I was far from refreshed. I have been really tired all week, not helped by the delivery of our new bedroom furniture on Tuesday which resulted in two late nights building drawers and the bed. However the bedroom is looking good, and Sarah has done a fabulous job painting and sorting it out.

Training wise I had planned a steady start to the week. Sarah was away from Friday with Ellie and Evie and her girl friends for a mini holiday, so I'd planned a big back end to the week. However Thursday's ride confirmed my legs needed a rest, so a change of plan was made. It is at times like this when one needs to be flexible. Race day is only four weeks away, it's no good blowing away weeks of training by pushing and not resting. I canned my long run on Friday instead spinning the legs to and from work. I'd planned a decent ride on Saturday but also settled for a very easy spin to and from work. I chucked in a couple of ridiculously early nights and hoped I was ready for Sunday's session. It turned into a good one. I felt good on the bike and knocked out 92 miles in 4hrs 45mins followed by a 10 mile run. I am feeling really good running off the bike. Along the grassy canal path I just ran comfortable and ended up with 8.18 min/mile pace. I kept telling myself to relax and slow down, which I did but I must admit I felt good. A nice end to another decent week. Over the last 6 weeks I have averaged 16 hours, this compares to 13 last year.

I am hoping for 2 more decent training weeks. During these I will be aiming for a couple more race specific sessions and a couple more long runs, and as much swimming as I can fit in.

I set myself the target of more longer rides, 3hr and 4hr plus rides in the final 10 weeks before race day. Last year before Switzerland I managed four 3hr rides and three 4hr rides. This year with four weeks left I have managed three 3hr rides and six 4hr rides. Things are looking good.

On one hand it's great having a weekend to myself, but it's spookily quiet in the house. I really am looking forward to my girls returning tomorrow.

No comments: