Sunday 12 April 2009

The Diary of Ben Garrard aged 34

This week my writing will take the format of a diary, it's been a full week and this will give me a bit of writing direction.


Monday: Up early for an hour spin on the bike. After 20 minutes the left pedal felt really weird, like the pedal cleat had come loose. A little look revealed it was fine but the crank bolt had worked loose and the crank kind of wobbly. Without an allen key I tried my best to tighten the bolt with a stone a couple of times, it lasted until the last 5 minutes when the crank fell off!!! I rode home on 1 leg. That was seriously lucky in a strange way a day earlier and it would have ruined my Circuit of the Dales Race. After lunch Sarah and I drove across to Kirkby Lonsdale where we were booked in to the Whoop Hall Hotel for 3 nights. Sarah was calling it a second honeymoon, I was calling it a mini break with my wife with some cycling in the hills. I soon checked out the 20m swimming pool. My first swim since IM Switzerland, what to do??? I just decided to go for it. 34.15 later I'd done 2000m and was feeling very good. This has to be my first 'session of the week' I don't think I'm a technically great swimmer, however I am a firm believer in keeping the upper body strong with weights and this I think translates well into swim muscle endurance when I do get into the pool. A few more sessions and I'll be ready for Lanzarote. The day finished with some delicious food in the hotel. Now before anybody phones social services Ellie and Evie were not home alone, my Mum had come north to keep them entertained. Cheers Mum, I know you had a great time and so did we.


Tuesday: After breakfast I left Sarah to get her Aroma Therapy Massage and, Facial whilst I rode in the Dales. What a perfect combination, we were both as happy as pigs in shite! 4 hrs 35 minutes later I'd nailed 80 miles over the hilly (and windy) Dales. My legs were pretty stuffed but with some serious climbing between Ingleton and Hawes out and back I wasn't surprised. Crashed in the afternoon, or tried to. As my wife snored, I was wide awake, buzzing after too many caffeinated gels and goodies whilst on the bike, could I sleep, no chance.


Wednesday: I nice lay in and a late breakfast before I headed out for another ride and Sarah headed to Bliss for another pamper session. Only trouble was it was blowing a hooly (technical windsurfer's term for very, very windy weather) I just didn't think it would be safe over the tops so laced up the asics and went for a run along the river. A really steady pace saw me clock 13 miles in 2hrs including a dozen or so gates and a slippery river bank session. I then hit the Hotel gym for an hour of upper body weights and core work. I did manage an afternoon sleep, nice.... A cheeky curry in Kirkby Lonsdale and an early night, wicked.


Thursday: I left my Honeymooning wife in the land of nod and at 6.15am set off on the Sedburgh road for an out and back 2 hour ride before breakfast. Sarah was still in the land nod when I returned.... After packing our bags we rocked up at Ingleton, to walk up to the Falls. The weather behaved and a very enjoyable stroll resulted in some wonderful views and interesting Waterfall formations. Lunch, drive, tea and apple pudding near Harrogate and we were soon home. It was great to see our little girls, who of course had had a great time with Grandma. They had baked cakes, made Easter Goodies, Easter hats, been to the park every day and had a brilliant time. I think everybody won. Sarah and I had a great break together, I got some great training in, Sarah returned relaxed and pampered, Ellie and Evie had a mini break from us, and a fun filled few days, and Grandma played with, and enjoyed her Granddaughters.


Friday: Up early for another bike ride (6.15am) Felt good for 90 minutes but then bonked, (cyclists term for running out of energy) Simple had a really busy day on Thursday with not enough food. Managed 45 miles and was really pleased to get home and start feeding. A nice afternoon at Lotherton Hall Bird Park with the girls, Sarah and my Mum. We watched '28 weeks Later'. An interesting movie, not my favourite but nice to crash out and relax.


Saturday: We brought Easter forward a day so my Mum could enjoy the girls excitement of the egg hunt around the garden. This was followed by a few hours at Two Hoots Animal Farm, where goats, pigs, lambs, chickens, turkeys, ducks, horses, rabbits, chipmonks, wallabee and an Ostrich? made Ellie and Evie (and me and my Mum) smile. I left Sarah at home playing her piano (she's making great progress) The girls spent the afternoon on their scooters and bikes, whilst I cleaned my bikes. Whilst doing so I managed to get my thumb caught between the chain and the rear sprocket on my fixed wheel bike, Ouch (or words to that effect) luckily it was thumb nail up. Still managed to pierce the nail and get a good bleed on. My best buddy Ben phoned from Seattle, we had a great chat for an hour, mostly about triathlon. I then finished off the day with an hour of weights in the garage. When I got back in the house Sarah had started to prepare our 'love nest' for being decorated. Now it wasn't my idea to decorate, I'm rubbish at painting and I am very impatient even with a roller filling in the middle sections. But I did my bit, tried to shifted the bed, broke it and got in a huff, went too bed.....


Sunday: Spent the morning with Ellie and Evie at the local indoor soft play center, they love these places. It was empty so they had a wicked time. Got home to find Sarah had painted the ceiling (good girl) and placed an order for a new bed and various drawer combinations in a nice dark walnut wood. Should look great when 'my wife' has finished the painting, wish she'd get on with it... I was up for a decent bike ride this afternoon, and was further spurred on by Tom's text messages. On Friday he texted me saying he was going over distance on the bike on Sunday. I texted back saying 'don't go more than 38 miles over distance' Now whether this planted a seed in Tom's mind I don't know, (38 miles over distance would give a ride of 150 miles) His first text came through at 10.30am, breakfast in North Allerton 52 miles down, the next text was lunch in Leyburn at 103 miles. Now Leyburn is a long way from Leeds so clearly Tom and Helen were on for a big day. I set off at 3.20pm and was hoping to do a 100 miles, but with the sun setting at 8.30pm I'd have to ride well. It was a cracking afternoon, just a light breeze and my legs felt fabulous. I was cruising. A bit more text banter with Tom when I stopped to refill with water, (he was still out there) and I rode on. Chasing the setting sun my legs were still feeling fabulous and I was knocking out a great pace. Being really careful to keep fuelled with gels and Power Bar's I was on for PB solo 100 miler, without really trying too hard. Maintaining big gears and steady cadence I finished off the last 3 miles along the Selby Bypass beneath the street lamps. I went through 100 miles in 4:50:15 This was a 20.5mph average. I was stoked. Legs still felt good and if it hadn't been dark I'd have stayed out for some more miles!!! Can I have 2 'sessions of the week' Course I can it's my blog. So today's ride is 'session of the week' number 2, it had to be really. Well done to Tom and Helen 158.5 miles, now that's a big, big day at the end of a big week. Awesome stuff guys. Whilst most of my training is solo, when my mates hit it hard or big the inspiration and motivation is shared. Great stuff. I better sign off now, because I need some more food and want to lay down in my bed.


It's been a great week on many fronts. Just to summarise my training;


Swim: 1/2 hr

Bike: 15 1/4 hrs (280 miles)

Run: 2 hrs

Weights: 2 hrs

Total: 19 3/4 hrs


Next week is shaping up to be a good one, training (hope the legs recover) and family time, enjoy your Easter Eggs!!!!

1 comment:

Jevon said...

Good biking, Ben. Keep it up... not long to go now... J.