Wednesday 3 December 2008

Rain, snow, wind, ice and Billy

Well it looks like Winter is here. With the arrival of Winter my immune system is working overtime. I'm winning the fight, just.....but my throat is really not liking the cold. After a couple of solid weeks my motivation has gone into temporarily hibernation. Motivation is a funny old thing, where does it go? One week I've got bags of the stuff, next week I'm trawling ebay to find a bargin bucket of the stuff! If I'm being honest I am not firing on all cylinders, and am looking for excuses to avoid running, phone calls at work to make, emails to check and bike upgrades to plan. I've indicated in past posts that my opportunity to run is a little limited, I have 50 minutes at lunch time, and on week day evenings I can usually get out once the girls are in bed at 7.30pm. When its light, warm and sunny both opportunities are sufficient, however cold, icy, windy and pitch black, after a long day at work and an evening getting the girls to bed, I am currently finding tough (the last few evening's I have fallen asleep on Ellie's bed whilst reading her a story) I am really looking forward to my Christmas break where I will get a few more opportunities to run in the day light. Spring seems a long way off, but it will soon be the shortest day and then rock and roll, more day light and all those climatic conditions that the Aussies take for granted and we crave.




On Saturday Sarah and I went south to see Billy Elliot. I know London has much to offer and so much to see, but when you live in a small village, near a small town in a rural location the number of people, pace of life and cues is frightening. I think the only way to attack London is with a 'get in, get it done and get out approach'


Travelling on public transport was predictably frustrating, but after a dash from Kings Cross to the Victoria Theatre we just made it. It was certainly worth it. Billy Elliot was a great show. I like going to the theatre but some shows are a bit samey for me, usually too much singing. Well you wally you've gone to a musical what do you expect!!! Billy Elliot however was great, singing, dancing, spoken word and acting. It's a great story, I'm sure you've seen the film and on stage it was fab. Miners vs Police, Cigarette smoking Geordie Middle Class Ballet teacher teaching her girls and Billy dancing around caught up in the middle of it, wanting to pursue his dream. It was an emotional afternoon. The story line is a powerful one. Billy's Mum appearing as a ghost as Billy read's out the letter she left for him for his 18th Birthday, Dad crossing the picket line whilst his angry son shows defiance and is willing to tear the family apart and Billy's families reaction when they find out he's been dancing not boxing.


I think the most powerful factor of the show is Billy. I guess he was between 11 and 13 years old. To see somebody so young dominate the stage and have the audience in his hands is amazing. There was such juvenile excitement radiating from him, yet his maturity handling the occasion and story line was great to see.


If you want to see a show I would thoroughly recommend Billy Elliot.


I will leave you with a quote from a 4 year old girl whose excitement for Christmas is building; Ellie was showing me her advent calendar telling me which one she was opening tomorrow;


"Daddy tomorrow it's the one with the leaf's and strawberries"


So this Christmas make sure you have got plenty of Leaf's and Strawberries and Mistletoe decorating your house!!!!

No comments: