Saturday 4 October 2008

"The Opportunity to Fly"

'Ellie in Switzerland July 2008'

Opportunities are never lost; someone will take the one you miss. ~Author Unknown

So far my life has been full of opportunities, I'd like to think I have taken as many of them as possible. Opportunities arise all the time. Some opportunities are easy to grasp, some require a bit of planning, some are financially more difficult to take, some require a change in your routine, some just require a bit of get up and go. The opportunity to go out with some friends, the opportunity to go for a extra training ride, the opportunity for a weeks training camp in February in Tuscon, Arisona with my buddy Ben (I hope I can make it mate) the opportunity for an early night, the opportunity to help somebody, the opportunity to spend some time with people you love or the opportunity to pursue an activity you enjoy.






As a PE teacher a large part of my job involves providing sporting opportunities for the kids at my school. This term I am providing the opportunity for 100 boys to play Rugby matches against other local schools, by being part of either the U13, U14, U15, U16 or 1st XV team's. All the boy's have to do is show commitment to the training session's, and turn up on match day. This week most of my players have really grasped the opportunity, we have had 5 fixtures and all the teams have played, we have won 4 and lost 1 match. Unfortunately this week I have had to remove the opportunity to play Rugby from one of my 1st team players. The particular lad should have been a regular starter in the team, he is strong, athletic and has a good array of skills, however this season he has failed miserably to grasp the opportunity given to him. After a couple of poor performances on the training pitch he was replacement for the first game of the season, his response, quite unbelievably was "not to turn up for the game" He was given another opportunity to prove himself but rather than grasp it with both hands he made a rather feeble snatch at it. He came off the bench for the second and third game, but to me and his team mates he appeared to be "going through the motions" The end to his season came on Wednesday. Changed and warming up with the team he was told he would be a replacement (although he is a better Rugby player than some of the starting XV, the commitment and desire to play shown by a couple of the boys got them the nod) When I left the pitch to sort something out, he decided to leave it as well. To my disbelief when I returned he had gone and got changed, stating to the captain, "he didn't want to play if he was going to be a replacement" After much reflection I could only conclude that the lack of commitment, enthusiasm, effort and honesty to his team mates, meant he really didn't care much for the opportunity to represent the school at 1st XV level. The following morning I asked him to return his 1st XV tie and not to come out to any training sessions. This was a sad morning. I am very inclusive with regard to team selection, if a boy shows positive character traits he will be given a chance, regardless of his skill level. I have given this lad plenty of opportunities to prove himself, Oh well, I hope he will realise his mistakes, and learns from his actions.






I think I have grasped some training opportunities this week. Monday 1 hour on the bike and a 7.30pm a 45 minute run with my new head torch. A strange sensation but perfectly acceptable, making the canal tow path, woods and quiet, unlit roads run-able. I have decided to use the Rugby players at school to increase my commitment to a weekly run session. Keeping it simple on Tuesday, we did 6 reps of the Rugby pitch (approx 350m) with a 2 minute static recovery. Writing down lap times helped everybody stay motivated, I ran 59 to 61 seconds. As the weeks progress I'll change the interval distance, rest times and number of reps. I then refereed a Rugby match for 1 hour, riding in to work meant I also clocked up another hour on the bike. Wednesday another hour cycling and an un-planned 30 minutes of refereeing after our RFU referee pulled a muscle. Thursday I have a 1/2 day so have the opportunity for a long ride. I knocked out 2 1/2 hours in bright but windy conditions (perfect Lanzarote conditioning) add in my ride to school, a good 3 hour day. Friday I just rode to work. Saturday I refereed for an hour. Sunday I raced the Cleveland Relay Triathlon.






I am Newcastle at Sarah's Mam and Dad's house, staying tonight thus making for a much shorter drive to the race tomorrow. Ellie loves to spend time with her Grandma and Grandpa, or as she calls them "Ra Ra and Pom Pom" We try hard to see them as often as possible, and do take the opportunity to leave the girl's for a week at a time. This gives Ra Ra and Pom Pom the opportunity to spend some quality time with Ellie and Evie, Ellie and Evie a chance to have fun with their Grand parents and me and Sarah with a chance to spend some much sought after quality time together, every ones a winner!!!






Cleveland Relays, the opportunity for one last triathlon (albeit a relay event) in 2008. Meeting at Acklam Sports Center we decided on our team configuration. My team consisted of Chris, Pat and Simon from the LBT Tri Club. Now, I haven't swam since IM Switzerland, not that that would be a problem. I find it hard to fit in much swim time, so tend to keep my upper body strong, then get some specific swim training done during the open water season. I still swim pretty consistently and can usually hit 1.45 per hundred. Today I swam 6.42, and felt good in the water. The bike consists of a 4 man Team Time Trial. I knew I'd be the strongest in my team so was prepared to drag the boys along, and back it off if necessary. We wont be challenging for places in the GB 4 man pursuit team, but we kept it together for a good ride. After an hours break it was time for the run. The run is a 5km relay. I went off first and soon went seriously anaerobic, realising how hard a 5km race is. On a slightly short (0.25km) route I clocked 18.42, so was really pleased. Cleveland Relay's is not really about the times, or the finishing position, more about having the opportunity to spend a day racing with your team buddies, and doing a different format of racing. It was really good fun, and a great way to finish the triathlon season. Hat's off to the Adwick Tri boys who raced as Batman, Spiderman, Superman and Captain America (they were pretty quick as well, must be the super hero powers!)





Ellie's quote for the week, setting the scene; it's getting close to bed time and Ellie is trying her best not to have a bath or a go to bed;






Dad "right Ellie, time for a quick bath"



Ellie "or a quick shower"



Dad "or a quick shower, it doesn't really matter"



Ellie "or a quick nothing"






Great stuff. On the subject of kid's providing fantastic moments congratulations to our good friends Paul and Nikki who welcomed Ciara into the world to join big sister Nyah. Well done Nikki you were a superstar last Sunday. Paul, me and you are now seriously outnumbered, 4 little girls and 2 big girls! surely we should get thoroughly spoiled?
Big congratulations to Tom and Helen, who both nailed Great North run PB's, 1.20 and 1.33. Well done, a great season from two friends who rarely miss an opportunity.


Another week draws to a close, its been a full one. Have I missed any opportunities? I am sure I have. I think it must be impossible to take all those that come your way, however I have made the most of those that I have taken. Lets see what next week brings.....





1 comment:

Paul May said...

BG, Great update from this week. My piece on "time management" and yours in "taking opportunities" go hand in hand. Just putting down on paper my new training schedule and diet. Really feel focused and determined to achieve the "blue sky" ambitions over the coming autumn and winter months. Let the pain and rewards begin.X