Sunday 12 October 2008

Face Painting Fun

Before anybody asks "yes I am available for Children's Parties" Just to clarify, Evie is a Lion, and Ellie is a Rabbit, without the ears she a closer to a 'Clownabbit'. I like this photo, taken today during the afternoon play session in the garden, two happy girls and a happy photographer. Sarah had popped up to Newcastle to see her Dad who was in hospital for a few days, and to spend some time with her Mam, so I was in charge. This morning I put the computer in the cupboard so there would be nothing to distract me from spending time with my girls. Usually on a Sunday the day is interspersed with the odd internet session, totally un-necessary and an interruption to spending quality time with my family. Last night was a good one. I took the girls round to Paul, Nikki, Nyah and Ciarra's house for a meal. By 7.30pm all 4 girls were bathed and in bed, and we were sitting down to the last 20 minutes of the England game. Nikki cooked a lovely meal, which was spent chatting and enjoying each other's company, I missed Sarah, but there will be other occasions soon. Paul helped carry the girls home and they were soon deposited in their beds. I booted up the computer and logged on to www.ironman.com and settled into the coverage of the 2008 Hawaii World Ironman Championships. I watched some great racing from Kona, and witnessed an awesome performance from Chrissie Wellington to take the Ladies title a second year on the row. In the men's race the top boys were all very fast on the bike, so it came down to the run. Eventually after 20 miles of awesome short 6 minute/mile pace Craig Alexander looked certain to take the win. At 2am I called it a night. No need for an alarm clock this morning, 5.30am Evie woke up, 6.30am Ellie woke up wanting her breakfast.
We started the day wrapping up Sarah's Birthday presents, Ellie is excited and wants a game of 'Pass the Parcel' so we found some prizes and got wrapping. Ellie's quote of the week is related to Sarah's Birthday.
"When Mummy's had her Birthday she's gonna be even taller"
The rest of the day was spent playing in the garden in the lovely weather.

Earlier on in the week my Garmin Forerunner 405 arrived. I have done a couple of short runs to test out. Its looks like a fabulous piece of kit and I know it will make me really focus on my run training this winter. I have had a steady training week, just ticking over. On the bike to school and a couple of short runs. I repeated my Tuesday lunch interval run session.........by myself, no show from any of the boys who ran last week!!!

I am looking forward to the week ahead. It should be a good one, Sarah's Birthday, some solid training, and session 1 (of many) with Paul in his garage, hitting a circuit/weights/core stability session hard, Oh yeah, I also break up for 1/2 term on Friday, a week's holiday yipee. Only seems like yesterday I went back to work after the summer holiday.

I will leave you with one of my favourite quote's from Dean Karnazes, book, 'Ultramarathon Man'.


"If you're not pushing yourself beyond the comfort zone, if you're not constantly demanding more from yourself expanding and learning as you go you're choosing a numb existence. You're denying yourself an extraordinary trip"

This week I will have this in my mind......

1 comment:

Ben Bigglestone said...

Great post Ben, time with the girls invaluable and irreplaceable.

All that and some good weather, no way ;o)

Back in Seattle now after Kona and suffering with a cold, hmmm. It will pass and when it does time to refocus and reset ready for IM Brazil.

Take care buddy, give my love to the girls.