Monday 15 June 2009

Goole Splashers


I have not long returned from Goole Swimming Pool where I have just had a very humbling evening with the Goole Splashers. I went along to their swim session to present them with the sponsorship money I raised from competing in Ironman Lanzarote. It was a warm feeling to be handing Val (the Secretary of the East Riding Of Yorkshire Disabled Sports Association, and organiser of the Splashers Swimming Club) a cheque for £550. What is brilliant is some of the money will go directly to the organisation of the 2009 Swimming Gala for all swimmers from the district.


When I met Val this evening I was instantly struck by somebody whose week revolves around organising activities for children and adults with various physical and learning disabilities. I would guess most, if not all of her work is voluntary. Whilst I was there tonight she was asking who would like to come along on Saturday to the Indoor Curling they had organised. They have got some adapted Curling Stones with ball bearings so they roll along the sports hall floor, sounds like great fun. Her energy, enthusiasm and dedication is clearly in huge abundance. Tonight at the pool there were 70 swimmers. Some had severe physical disabilities and required the hoist to get into the pool, wore armbands and had a helper with them in the water. Some were there independently mixing in and having fun with the others, some were physically fine and excellent swimmers, but had quite severe learning difficulties. Chatting to Val revealed that many had travelled as small groups from local care homes, some had come with their parents, and some had travelled from further afield, all because of the specific session organised by the Splashers. Tonight was a quiet night, apparently when 120 turn up things can get pretty noisy and boisterous!


There were smiling faces to be seen and laughter to be heard all over the pool. The water slide got a great deal of action, I can vouch for it's fun factor as I took Ellie down it a number of times, she loved it! Volunteers were throwing beach balls to whoever wanted to play, and care workers were helping hold and guide those who found floating difficult. The session was clearly a big part of the week for all there. They have access to the pool for 2 hours and I am sure some of the early arrivers were still there as I dried off at 8.15, they couldn't get enough of it.


I have offered my help, and intend to get down on more occasions over the next few months, getting in the water and helping out where I can. I will take Ellie with me some of the time, she did ask why the adults were wearing arm bands, so it will be a good experience for her. Ellie had a great time splashing around and soon made a friend with a little girl who she played on the mini slide with, they then played a throwing and collecting game with some floating foam animals.


It is always nice to give or do something for others. When I drop a few pennies in a collection pot in town and get a small circular sticker I feel good. Giving presents nearly always makes me feel as excited as receiving them. It was great tonight knowing that my efforts in Lanzarote, something I love doing, combined with the generosity of many of my friends, family and work colleagues will allow many there tonight to enjoy a competitve Swimming Gala and further sports activities over the coming year.


Watching all those people there tonight smiling, laughing and having fun reminded me that having fun is what it's all about. Sometimes it's all too easy to get wrapped up in our quests for personal bests or our pursuit for 'more', (more money, more strength, more fitness, more houses, more bikes, etc, etc) that we forget to enjoy the experience. Sure, we will set ourselves targets and goals, we will strive to achieve personal bests, we will want to see progress but along the way we must all make sure we have fun.......

4 comments:

Jevon said...

Too true, mate, too true.
J.

Tom said...

you should be amazingly proud of yourself mate!

H said...

Great blog Ben and very humbling. Good work with the money raising, it's a really hard thing to do these days, even better to be seeing where it will actually be spent. The smiles on those kids faces are because people like you care :) x

Ben Bigglestone said...

If we were all a little less selfish (guilty) imagine what we could do if each of us devoted 1 hour a week to something selfless such as helping people less fortunate than ourselves. You have inspired me Ben to get in the water and help out. We have a 'special olympics' at our pool here every Friday, a great bunch of people and a perfect opportunity for me to give something back.

Thanks buddy
Ben