Saturday 15 November 2008

That's more like it.......


I'm not going to write much this week. I'm gonna keep it short and sweet, with a simple message. After a disappointing last week where I really didn't get close to my training objective, and just seemed to be going up and down, this week has been good. I didn't really set any objectives this week, wanting to confirm I was better, and also to get to Thursday when I planned to ride longer, not feeling smashed. So my week developed and looked like this;


Monday 1 hour bike (1/2 hour to work, 1/2 hour home) (20 miles)

Tuesday 1 hour bike (20 miles)

Wednesday 1 hour bike (20 miles)

Thursday 1/2 hour bike (10 miles), 2 1/2 hours bike (42 miles)

Friday 1/2 hour bike (10 miles)

Saturday 2 3/4 hours bike (48 miles)


Total 9 1/4 hours bike (170 miles)


I know, I know I am supposed to be a triathlete, and you ask where is the weights, swimming and run training? Well my swim story is for another day, and my running? I just haven't managed to squeeze any into a busy week at work, the dark cold nights have mucked up my evening motivation to run, and my Tuesday Lunch Run Club was knocked on the head for a steadier start to the week. I will aim for a little more balance next week, I promise.


I had a typically wet and windy ride on Thursday (keep an eye out for how often its wet and windy on Thursday afternoons!!!!!) I rode really steady and was pleased how I finished the ride. A comfortable 142bpm heart rate for an average speed of 17mph, not gonna break into any Pro Teams at that speed, but a good 2 1/2 hours of pedalling in windy, wet conditions with a few hills thrown in for good measure.


I wouldn't normally ride on the weekend, wanting to spend time with my girls, but Sarah had arranged an afternoon of play for Ellie with her friend, so after the School Rugby Matches I thought I'd make the most of the sunny mild weather and get a few more miles in. I rode nice and steady, a little over geared at times into the wind, 55 x 13..........(only joking, 55 x 19 is more like it) On the biggest hill (It's not very big, only about 5 minutes of climbing) I did 4 hill repeats. I rode these steady rather than as a hard interval session. On the way down the hill I dropped it into the 55 x 13 and pedalled all the way down. I also really concentrated on cornering confidently, and fast. I am also deliberately riding with less food than in past winters, not because of the economic struggle but to hopefully facilitate greater fat utilisation. As expected towards the end of the ride I was running a bit short of energy, but finished off quite strongly.


I managed to watch as much of the Rugby as I could. What should have been an exhilarating afternoon of Rugby was a bit anti-climatic, none of it was particularly impressive. Ireland massively under formed, New Zealand made hard work scoring points, England looked young, and I thought lacked any 'on the pitch' leadership, and Australia did little more than kick penalties and defend with raw power. However one moment defined the afternoon, the New Zealand Haka. I have no doubt that the Haka not only upsets the opposition, but more importantly increases the New Zealand player's focus, arousal, determination, and team cohesion. I also think the simple Black Shirt, Shorts and Socks defines the team. To me New Zealand are the best rugby team in the world. They play a simple rugby game, but whenever they do anything it is done with more power, aggression, speed, desire and intensity than any of the other teams. Next weekend watch their body language, playing as an 'All Black' is clearly HUGE.


My simple message, "whenever you do something this week think of the Haka, and make your performance huge"

p.s my 1st XV won their first game of the season, not a great performance, but we'll take the win, I may keep my coaching job after all!

1 comment:

Ben Bigglestone said...

Good 'bike' week Ben although not sure about how that will build any run durability ;o)

And an honest word of caution on the low calorie thing during your rides. Going light on calories and running your muscle/liver glycogen down will promote a cortisol response that you don't want. Don't delay and hinder your recovery by using this strategy. IMHO you would be better getting used to fueling as per IML (okay no need for 400 cals/hour on those easy rides but you should not stray too far from this) and train (as Gordo does) your body to effectively use and break down more calories rather than less. Don't forget the body can be trained to breakdown, absorb and utilize more calories than we often think possible. If you go light trying to promote fat oxidation then come those days when you decide to rehearse IM nutrition your stomach may object!

As for the Haka, I perform it every night before bed ;o) black socks and all.