Friday 19 September 2008

'59.08'




What a week, I'm shattered! 7 day's have gone by in a flash, but it's been a flash with substance! Let me summarise some of the moments; A particularly busy week at work. Apart from my usual teaching duties, I have picked up the piece's on Monday, following a nasty Rugby injury last Saturday, where one of our U15 players suffered a break to his Ulna and Radius...Ouch!!!! On Tuesday I refereed an U14 match where within 10 minutes we were 12 - 0 up, we then crumbled, playing like softies, losing focus, getting caught out of position, dropping our head's and generally showing very little personal commitment or commitment to the team. Final score Read (my team) 17 - Hymers (school from Hull) 62, what a wasted opportunity, we under-performed, and let ourselves down. Post match I was very angry and ready to put the boy's through a tough interval session, however I quickly calmed down and decided strong words would suffice. Had a great fitness and technical session with the 1st XV on Wednesday. Spent what seemed like hour's trying to finalise Saturday's 4 fixtures vs Pocklington School, then spent even longer liaising with our coaches as we tried to get enough players for the fixture. Why the problem? A CCF (Combined Cadet Force, 'Playing Soldiers') Weekend where boy's who should have been playing Rugby decided they wanted to take part, and were allowed by staff who should know better. An U13 boy's parent who organised a Birthday Party (party sounded great, wake boarding, water-skiing and banana boat riding) which then took 7 key players from the U13 team, and various other excuses from boy's and parents who do not understand what the word 'commitment' mean's. Chuck in a couple of lunch time meetings with various colleagues, just for fun..NOT.


Wrestling with 7 nights of boken sleep, that Evie (our 1 year old) daughter is subjecting us to, 12.30 am, 4.30am, 4.55am, 5.50am etc, etc must be going through a growth spurt, downing 200ml of milk then falling back to sleep, cheers!!! Planning and executing Ellie's 4th Birthday, that was a great morning. As well as the obligatory 'Doll' that comes along on every Birthday we also brought her a gold fish tank and a gold fish. Ellie was really excited. Sarah asked Ellie what she would call it? Ellie responed very matter of factly "Helen" We did chuckle, but what an original name!! Birthday's are great fun, but usually last a day, for Ellie it's been a brithday week really. A party with her friends at a Play Center on Wednesday, her actual Birthday on Thursday, then more celebrations with family on Saturday and Sunday.













Trying to squeeze in some quality time with Sarah in the evening's after she finishes work. Wednesday we decided to watch our weekly DVD (from Lovefilms, you create a DVD list, they send you one, you watch it and send it back, then get another one) 'The Golden Compass' came this week. Was a bit slow for me, fell asleep on the sofa after an hour, then retired to bed.


The usual 'race' to get home, collect the girl's from Nursery or take over from Sarah, sort out tea, and early evening bath and bed time duties, whilst Sarah works.

It was great to see my brother Max and his wife Rachael on Saturday, who as usual spoilt Ellie and Evie with presents and fun play time. Well done Max a solid 19.35 for the Liverpool Corporate 5km on Sunday. Also great to spend the weekend with my Mum and Dad , who also spoilt Ellie and Evie with presents, but more importantly with their time and attention. That takes me nicely to the title of this post, 59.08, my time for the 25 mile tt I rode today. Last week I said I'd like to be around the hour mark, so to go nearly a minute under I was really pleased. It was a 'lumpy' course on the A19 from 'Crathorne' south to 'Knayton' and then back. I was very happy the way I performed given that I have done just this time trial and the Club 10 mile Championships in early August, hardly an extensive time trial season. Time trialling is definitely a cycling discipline that requires regular races to maintain the top end power, learn how to race certain courses and to educate the body how to respond to above threshold heart rates (today I averaged 175bpm, crossing the finishing line at 182bpm) I am feeling good that without any specific preparation I can jump on the bike and knock out a sub 60 min 25 tt. I am also now entering the autumn and winter knowing I'm in good cycling shape, with some firm plans to get more out of my winter cycling as I begin my preparation for Lanzarote IM. Dad also raced. 1.10.43 great stuff, not his quickest '25' of the season but a solid ride, and only 3 weeks after his 12 hour tt achievement (207 miles), he inevitably still has this ride in his legs. It is great competing with my Dad, it makes me very proud that I can line up on the same start line as him, I know plenty more occasions will arise next year (he's more fired up than me to train through the winter, and race next season)


I have also managed to fit in some training. Monday I rode to work 1/2 hour, Weights session at work, rode home 1/2 hour, and at 7.45pm completed my 3/4 mile interval session, clocking 6.12 min/mile, 6.22, 6.12 and 6.25. Tuesday 1 hour bike (to and from work) ref Rugby match. Wednesday run to work 63mins, afternoon weights and sprint session with 1st XV, (decided not to run home) Thursday 1 hour bike in the afternoon. Friday Bike to work 1 hour. Saturday REST DAY. Sunday 25 mile time trial. Total: 9 hours a pretty solid training week.


I have yet to eat any cakes at the 3.40 break at work, so I'm pleased with my will power, however I have gone a bit crazy at home. BISCUITS, they do my head in, and I've had no will power this week when faced with an open packet. I would be quite happy not to have any in the house, but Sarah enjoys the occasional one (some how she can have one or two then not touch the packet for day's if not week's, HOW????) I am disappointed that during the witching hours of early evening I've destroyed a good packet of Malted Milk Cow Biscuits, a few Chocolate Penguin Bars plus enough toast, butter and honey to feed a small army. When I'm hungry in the evening next week, I'll be trying to eat fruit and yogurt or nuts, seeds and yogurt. However, I have to ask the question, am I really hungry, or is it just a habit at that particular time in the day? In the past I have found that drinking a large glass of water works, so that might be the answer.

So a really busy week comes to a close. Life is there to be lived, and it's been a good one. I'll leave you with a quote from Ellie. She put a hole in her new tights after falling over, I said that "Mummy could fix them", she said "or Daddy", so I said "or Grandma" (My Mum is a genius with a needle and thread) her response "Grandma doesn't know how to do it, she's just an old lady"
Oh, to be 4 years old again!!!!!

No comments: